Frequently Asked Questions
You should find the answer to your question right here. If the information you need is not here and you need to speak to a service agent, please contact your participating bank or the eDirham Customer Care Centre toll free on:
UAE: 600 550 000, International: +971 2 495 1000.
eDirham is a cashless payment platform that empowers users to make more convenient and secure transactions. Innovated by the UAE Ministry of Finance, eDirham is a seamless, convenient and secure way to handle transactions.
You can download the eDirham Instant app for free via Google Play or the App Store, depending on your device’s operating system, or pop into one of our partner banks to get your eDirham card.
You can carry out cashless transactions through eDirham Instant, the mobile app, or pay for government services using your eDirham card.
For all queries, concerns and complaints regarding transactions, please reach out to your eDirham issuing bank.
Yes, you can get eDirham from one of our multiple partner banks across the UAE. Alternatively, you can use eDirham Instant to carry out cardless transactions. Check with your bank regarding the eDirham Instant app service.
Use your card to pay for government services, quickly and conveniently, either through online channels or at physical locations across the UAE.
Please visit your eDirham card issuing bank for any additional or replacement cards you need.
Yes. Your issuing bank can assist you with multiple Signature cards linked to a single corporate account.
Currently eDirham can only be used to pay for government services.
Kindly report the loss or theft of your card immediately to your issuing bank.
The eDirham Instant mobile application (app) is a digital payment tool, through which government services can be quickly and securely paid – without the need for a physical payment card. You can use Instant either at point of sale, online, or directly through the app, through your personal android or iOS mobile device.
eDirham Instant enables 3 ways of paying for government services, without ever having to reveal your sensitive account data:
- Via the internet (on your computer or any smart device), using a one-time pin (OTP) generated by the app
- At the counter of a Government Happiness Centre, using an OTP or QR code generated by the app
- Directly through the eDirham Instant Pay function
Note: To process any payment, eDirham Instant requires an active internet connection. It must also be linked with at least one source of funds (either a bank account or eDirham card).
Yes. Instant is designed to operate on any type of smart device, including phones, tablets and computers running on either of the following operating systems:
- iOS – version 11.X and newer
- Android – version 5.0 and newer
The password you need to enter is the one provided by the bank that issued your eDirham card OR the one you set up for the bank account you wish to use as your source of funds. Each bank has its own method of establishing passwords, so please check with your bank if you are still unsure.
There are two ways to do this:
- On the Home screen, tap on Change Source of Funds, then select another registered source of funds from your list. This newly selected source of funds will become the default source of funds on your Home screen.
- You can also change your source of funds while paying with eDirham Instant. After tapping the eDirham Instant button, scroll down and tap on Selected Account. The list of all our sources of funds will be displayed and you can select the one you wish to use.
- Log in to your Instant app
- Tap on the Home screen to generate an OTP
- Give this OTP to the Customer Service Agent to enter into the keypad or computer system. Alternatively, the Customer Service Agent may scan the QR code representing the OTP on your mobile device.
- Check the transaction details on your mobile and confirm, if required, by using your password, facial ID or touch ID.
Yes. You can create reminders for in-app payments for selected government services.
- Open your profile
- Tap on Reminders
- Set the date for your reminder
eDirham Instant will display a reminder notification on your mobile device, even if you are not logged into the app. Simply tap the reminder to be directed to the message in your Instant inbox.
You can set your individual transaction limits by tapping Confirmation Settings from your profile screen. Confirmation Settings enable you to define the amount above which a payment confirmation will be required, by either your password or biometric (face ID or touch ID). Transactions below this defined amount will require only your acknowledgement.
When using your eDirham card to pay for government services online, you will need to have already downloaded and set up eDirham Instant in order for it to generate an OTP. Follow your bank’s instructions on how to use your eDirham card online.
- Use your current passcode to log in to Instant
- From the Home screen, go to Profile > Change Your Passcode
- Follow the steps shown on the screen
Payments made via eDirham Instant are protected by a number of security measures:
- Restricted login – It is only possible to access eDirham Instant using biometrics (face ID or touch ID) or a password assigned to you when you activated the app
- User control – eDirham Instant users can see every single transaction and are empowered to personally confirm each transaction within the app
- The limited lifespan of the OTP and QR codes enhance security and minimise the risk of misuse
- Timebound transaction approval – Limited time is provided in which to approve of each transaction
- In addition, eDirham Instant adheres to the highest industry and payment data security standards
To start using eDirham Instant, you first need to download and install it from either the App Store or Google Play, whichever is compatible with your mobile device. Once installed, simply follow the instructions for the registration process. This includes linking your personal eDirham Instant profile with your chosen source of funds, such as your bank account.
Note: To download and to use the application your mobile device must be connected to the internet.
You can choose to link your Instant profile with either a bank account provided by any of the eDirham partner banks, or any eDirham card, including eDirham HALA, eDirham GOLD or eDirham SIGNATURE.
You can do this via the Home Screen.
- Go to Profile
- Tap on Sources of Funds
- Now, add your new source of funds in the same way as you linked your first
Note: You can only link an eDirham card or a bank account held with an eDirham participant bank.
- From the Profile screen, select Source of Funds
- If the source of funds you wish to remove is currently marked as the default one, you will first need to nominate another account as the default source of funds.
- Once done, tap the circled ‘X’ next to the account you wish to remove
- Confirm your action with OK
A QR code is a graphic representation of the six-digit OTP. When you’re making a payment, provided the merchant is equipped with a QR code reader, the QR code can simply be scanned from your device by the cashier rather than having to enter the OTP on a keypad – so it provides a safe, touchless alternative.
All eDirham transactions are conducted in the United Arab Emirates dirham currency (AED).
You can view all your completed eDirham Instant transactions on the History screen. You can filter what you see according to either all sources of funds or a specific account. You can also filter the displayed transaction history according to date.
Note: Transactions that encountered an error and were not completed can be viewed in the Inbox.
Once a profile is closed, you will no longer have access to its information (including its history of transactions) on any device.
Note: It is important to remember that if you linked your eDirham card with your profile and you lose that card, closing the profile will result in you also losing access to any funds on that card.
- Use the Forgot Passcode option on the log on screen
- Provide the email address with which you registered
- A new security code will be emailed to you
- Enter the code I eDirham Instant to reset your password